BAROQUE MASTERPIECE OF CASTLE & PARK LICHTENWALDE
The Lichtenwalde Castle and Park are considered to be among the most remarkable examples of Baroque architecture and landscaping in Germany. Although the history dates back to the Middle Ages when around 1220 a fortress Lichtenwalde was built at this place. Different building phases shaped its appearance during the time.
A minister of Augustus the Strong had the three-winged estate rebuilt between 1722 and 1726, while his son had the castle’s gardens landscaped. In 1772 the estate passed to the Counts Vitzthum von Eckstädt, who lived there until 1945. Not to be missed are the ceremonial rooms such as the “King’s Room”, “Chinese Room” and “Red Salon”, the Castle Chapel which includes one of the few remaining Donati organs, and the Tea House in the magnificent inner courtyard.
Redesigned to the historical plans, Lichtenwalde’s Baroque gardens extend over 10 hectares, with a staggering number of paths and vistas, 335 historical fountains, hidden pavilions and benches putting them on a par with the largest stately gardens in Germany. Views into the Zschopau valley with its dark, meandering river invite visitors to pause and take it all in.
Castle: Tuesday to Sunday
Park: open all year round
|April – October||10am - 6pm|
|November – March||10am - 5pm|
|closed 24 Dec; open 31 Dec until 2pm;|
1 Jan from 11am
|Park:||9:30am - 6pm|
We open outside of these times for groups booked in advance. Last entry/ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing.
GETTING HERE & CONTACT
|Lichtenwalde Castle & Gardens|
|+49 (0) 37291/ 38 00|