WELCOME TO CASTLE AUGUSTUSBURG
When Augustus, the Elector of Saxony, had Augustusburg Castle built between 1568–1572, he chose the site well. The hunting lodge and summer residence can been seen from afar as it towers 516 m above the Zschopau valley perched on a hilltop of porphyritic igneous rock. Even now, after more than 400 years, this monumental construction has lost none of its majesty. Its imposing position has led Augustusburg Castle to be known as the Crown of the Erzgebirge. Thanks to its grandeur and museums, today it is considered one of the most beautiful Renaissance castles in Central Europe.
Ever since it became a museum in 1922, Augustusburg Castle has been home to high quality exhibitions – and with the arrival of the Motorcycle Museum it also became known as the “BIKERS’ CASTLE”. Other attractions include the Stage Coach Museum, the Museum of Hunting and Ornithology and the Castle Dungeon.
|April – October||10am – 5pm|
|November – March||10am – 4pm|
|closed 24 Dec; open 31 Dec until 14:00;|
1 Jan from 11:00
We open outside of these times for groups booked in advance. Last entry/ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing.
GETTING HERE & CONTACT
|+49 (0) 37291/ 38 00|